MATH205: ELEM ALGEBRA
This course is a standard beginning algebra course, including algebraic expressions, linear equations and inequalities in one variable, graphing, equations and inequalities in two variables, integer exponents, use of a scientific calculator, polynomials, rational expressions and equations, radicals and rational exponents, and quadratic equations. Mathematics 205, 205A and 205B, and 206 have similar course content. This course may not be taken by students who have completed Mathematics 205B or 206 with a grade of "C" or better. This course may be taken for Mathematics 205B credit (2.5 units) by those students who have successfully completed Mathematics 205A with a grade of "C" or better. PREREQUISITE: MATH 402 with a grade of 'Pass' or with a 'C' or better, or assessment test recommendation.
- Simplify and evaluate expressions. Solve linear equations and inequalities in one variable and their applications.
- Evaluate and solve formulas.
- Graph linear equations and inequalities in two variables.
- Solve systems of equations and inequalities in two variables and their applications.
- Apply the laws of exponents to algebraic expressions. Use scientific notation and a scientific calculator.
- Define a polynomial and perform the operations of addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division of polynomials.
- Factor polynomials and solve polynomial equations in one variable.
- Simplify and add, subtract, multiply, and divide with rational expressions.
- Determine square roots, simplify radicals, and perform basic operations with radicals
- Solve quadratic equations by using the quadratic formula.