JOUR18A: PRINT AND DIGITAL NEWS I
Students interview, write, photograph and do computer assisted design and graphics for the college newspaper, The Gavilan Press. In doing this, they provide the community with an important first amendment forum, learn and educate about the first amendment rights and responsibilities, and acquire journalistic skills, ethics, and habits. (C-ID: JOUR 130). ADVISORY: Eligible for English 1A. Typing ability.
- Students will plan, formulate&compose news stories, requiring them to restate facts, describe people&conditions&explain&report on current events
- Students will define&apply standard journalistic practices
- Students will schedule time for reporting and writing&define, relate&compare their own best practices.
- Students will practice constitutionally guaranteed freedom of speech while avoiding libel&employing best ethical journalistic practices, differentiating between standard&sub-standard ethics
- Students will analyze the newspaper by appraising both content&its layout&design
- Students will work with each other to appraise&revise each other's stories
- Students will debate, criticize, question& compose responses to current events&participate in discussions about appropriate content for the newspaper
- Students will interpret current events, campus organizational structures&human beings to demonstrate a common understanding of news values, choosing&selecting interesting stories to cover