JLE176: BAS PUB SAFETY DISP
This variable unit course is designed to provide necessary and required continuing professional training to public safety dispatchers as required by The Commission on Peace Officers Standards and Training (POST). Students will learn radio procedures, radio systems, telephone procedures, legal updates and emergency dispatching techniques. ADVISORY: Eligible for English 250 and English 420
- Examine and compare communication technology and how systems interact; Federal Communications Center guidelines for radio use; codes used by various agencies and the concept of clear text; techniques for handling the radio in a professional manner; and officer safety and response considerations for dispatching calls.
- Describe procedures necessary to handle major disaster multi-casualties and other life threatening situations.
- Describe updates in policy, procedures, laws, and communication regulations.
- Evaluate the standardized emergency management system, including mutual aid systems and resources available.
- Compare and contrast various telecommunications systems and how they interact.
- Describe confidentiality issues surrounding access; and techniques for correctly interpreting information in the given situation.