JLE107: BASIC ACADEMY REQUAL
The Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) certifies this 137 hour course of training. It meets the content and hour requirement established by POST for re-qualification of former officers who have not been working as full time enforcement officers in California for a period exceeding three (3) years.
- Demonstrate required competency as determined by the Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training including firearms qualification, defensive tactics and techniques and cognitive assessment on various learning domains
- Recognize the importance of Leadership, Professionalism and Ethics, and how they relate to the profession, the department, the officer, and the community.
- Examine community policing and its effect on the community including department effectiveness, addressing crime and community problems and improving community relations.
- Identify the impact of crime on direct and indirect victims including emotion reactions, physical reactions, resource and referral support and police perception
- Recognize elements, classifications and definitions involving crimes against persons and crimes against property.
- Practice components of a safe and tactically sound vehicle stop.
- Demonstrate and apply approved techniques for searching, maintaining control and arresting subjects.
- Identify circumstances and conditions when a peace officer can use reasonable, nonlethal and lethal force.
- Identify the requirements and exceptions regarding hearsay testimony.
- Examine California statutes relative to operating police vehicles including rules of the road, pursuit operation, emergency responses and agency specific policy requirements