JFT20: HAZ MAT FIRST RESPONDER
This 8-24 hour variable course is designed for fire department personnel who may respond to releases or potential releases of hazardous materials as part of the initial response to the site for the purpose of protecting nearby persons, property, or the environment from the effects of the release. This course will provide defensive tactics to contain the release from a safe distance, keep it from spreading, and prevent exposures without trying to stop the release. Meets and exceeds the requirements for CFR 29 1910.120 and CCR Title 8. ADVISORY: Eligible for English 250 and English 420.
- Identify information on recognition of hazardous materials incidents, safety precautions, making proper notifications, and legal aspects.
- Identify safety and hazard assessment techniques when dealing with a hazardous materials event/incident.
- Demonstrate during class exercise the basic command, utilization of IDHA, and action plans required during hazardous materials incident
- Describe methods and procedures on the proper use of hazardous materials protective equipment, containment, protective actions, decontamination, disposal and documentation.
- Identify decontamination procedures