HUM10: APPROACH CONT FILM
Contemporary Film examines theories of film criticisms as they apply to films from 1960 to the present. Students learn technical, visual, classical, historical, cultural, ideological, and aesthetic approaches to film and sample from a representative list of foreign and domestic movies. Special emphasis is given to new voices from non-American sources and to emerging voices in American cinema. ADVISORY: Eligibility for English 250 and 260.
- Relate the history of film from 1960 to the present.
- Recognize and use the basic technical and critical vocabulary of motion pictures.
- Recognize the technical components of filmmaking.
- Identify the major theories of film interpretation.
- Recognize how contemporary social forces have influenced film and how film has influenced contemporary social forces.
- Recognize the subtextual layers of cultural meanings in film.
- Identify contributions of various artists and filmmakers on the development of world cinema.