ESL704A: ESL FOR THE WORKPLACE
This is part A of a content-based integrated skills course for ESL students who want to prepare for immediate entry into the job force. Students expand their language skills within the realm of the work world and specific vocational career of interest while also developing the soft skills needed in the workplace. This course is a combination of lecture, lab, and self-paced instruction. This course may be repeated three times.
- Recognize, define, and recall vocational vocabulary.
- Apply vocational vocabulary in written and spoken communication.
- Demonstrate cooperative work strategies.
- Take and leave phone messages.
- Interpret operating instructions and fill out a repair order.
- Offer and fill out a rain-check.
- Write an email message.
- Discuss inventory and demonstrate effective management of material resources.
- Interpret personnel policies and communicate work-related information effectively.
- Demonstrate use of savings and checking accounts; use forms associated with banking.
- Interpret company-paid benefits; understand paychecks and stubs.