ESL543: INT ESL GRAM/WRIT II
This course involves the expansion of sentence and paragraph skills, structure, and punctuation. Students will learn basic use of the computer as a writing tool. PREREQUISITE: ESL 533 with a grade of C or better or ESL assessment recommendation. ADVISORY: Recommended concurrent enrollment in ESL 541 and ESL 542.
- Write simple, compound and complex sentences utilizing correct structure and punctuation. Identify and correct run-ons, comma splices and fragments
- Manipulate sentence forms (yes/no questions, information questions, affirmative and negative statements).
- Explain and use the following verb tenses in active and passive voice: simple present, present progressive, simple past, past progressive, future, present perfect, present perfect progressive, past perfect, and past perfect progressive.
- Read model paragraphs and identify and analyze tense usage and voice (passive or active).
- Write original sentences and paragraphs utilizing the above tenses.
- Demonstrate knowledge of"writing as a process"by clustering, brainstorming, outlining, writing, editing and rewriting paragraphs.
- Demonstrate knowledge of paragraph structure by writing a paragraph with a topic sentence, supporting sentences, transitions and a concluding sentence.
- Identify gerunds and infinitives in sentences, analyze their functions, and write original sentences using these structures.
- Identify adjective clauses and combine and separate sentences through the addition of or deletion of adjective clauses.
- Make comparisons utilizing comparative, superlative andequalative forms of adjectives and adverbs.