ESL542: INT ESL READ/VOC II
This course begins the expansion of reading skills and vocabulary development through the application of different reading strategies to a variety of selections on topics of interest to academically-bound students including selections from literature. PREREQUISITE: ESL 532 with a grade of 'C' or better or ESL Assessment Recommendation. Recommended concurrent enrollment in ESL 541 and 543.
- State the main idea(s) and supporting ideas of a reading or of single paragraphs within a reading.
- Apply a variety of reading skills to the understanding of a text.
- Recall and relate the most important points of a reading to peers.
- Scan and skim a reading for specific information.
- Interpret the ideas and concepts in a reading and make inferences about them.
- Use a variety of context clues to figure out the meaning of unfamiliar words and expressions.
- Analyze and outline the main ideas of a reading selection.
- Evaluate the viewpoint expressed in the reading(s) and compare it to personal experiences and/or native culture parameters.
- Read short stories or nonfiction to increase exposure to vocabulary and for reading enjoyment.