ESL541: INT LISTEN/SPEAK II
This course expands listening and speaking skills through extended listening exercises, open-ended dialogues, pair and group discussions, oral interviews, and oral reports. Students broaden vocabulary while listening to and speaking in both formal and informal, conversational and academic situations. PREREQUISITE: ESL 531 or ESL 538 with a grade of 'C' or better or ESL assessment recommendation. Recommended concurrent enrollment in ESL 542 and 543.
- Identify and use key aural information (main ideas, details, and inferences) to understand aural passages. Measure: pair, small and/or large group discussion, classroom exercises
- Recognize and employ new topical vocabulary. Measure: aural/oral participation, interviews, role-play, extemporaneous speech, tests and quizzes
- Recognize stressed words and reductions in aural passages and use in speech. Measure: follow-up comprehension check, discussion of aural passages, oral performance in class, tests and quizzes
- Demonstrate fluency of spoken English in oral or group oral presentations on assigned or self-selected topics. Measure: oral presentations
- Demonstrate the ability to do research for use in presentations. Measure: oral presentations
- Demonstrate the ability to take notes while listening to aural passages. Measure: performance of note-taking, pair or small group discussion, tests and quizzes