ESL533: INT ESL GRAM/WRIT I
This course involves the practice and refinement of sentence and paragraph skills, structure and punctuation. Students will learn basic use of the computer as a writing tool. PREREQUISITE: ESL 523 with a grade of C or better or ESL Assessment Test recommendation. ADVISORY: Recommended concurrent enrollment in ESL 531 and ESL 532.
- Write simple and compound sentences utilizing correct structure and punctuation.
- Manipulate sentence forms (yes/no questions, information questions, affirmative and negative statements).
- Explain the use of the following verb tenses: simple present, present progressive, simple past, and future.
- Recognize the above verb tenses in model paragraphs.
- Write original sentences using the above verb tenses.
- Express ideas through writing.
- Spell singular and plural forms of regular and irregular nouns and regular and irregular present and past tense verbs.
- Identify the function of a noun in a sentence (subject, object, object of a preposition).
- Differentiate between count and noncount nouns and their quantifiers.
- Substitute appropriate pronouns (subject, object, possessive, reflexive, and possessive adjectives) for nouns.
- Compare and contrast the form, function and position of adjectives and adverbs in a sentence.