ESL523: BEG ESL GRAM/WRIT
This is a beginning grammar/writing course for students with very basic grammar. The focus is on basic grammatical structures, punctuation and sentence skills. ADVISORY: ESL 510B or ESL Assessment Test recommendation. Recommended concurrent enrollment in ESL 521 and ESL 522.
- Write simple sentences utilizing correct structure, word order, and punctuation.
- Manipulate sentence forms (yes/no questions, information questions, affirmative and negative statements).
- Read and recognize the following verb tenses in sentences and paragraphs: simple present, present progressive, simple past, future and past progressive.
- Express ideas by writing original simple sentences and short paragraphs using the above mentioned tenses.
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of parts of speech by constructing sentences using nouns (singular/plural, count/noncount), pronouns (subject, object, possessive, indefinite, demonstrative), adjectives, articles, quantifiers, and simple time clauses.
- Demonstrate a developing confidence and skill by practicing with these structures while speaking and writing.