ESL522: BEG ESL READ/VOC
This course begins the development of reading skills and vocabulary through the application of different reading strategies to a variety of selections on topics of interest to academically-bound students. ADVISORY: ESL 510B or ESL assessment recommendation. Recommended concurrent enrollment in ESL 521 and 523.
- Identify the main idea of a reading.
- Identify the supporting details of a reading.
- Skim and scan a reading for specific information.
- Utilize a variety of strategies, tools, and information to derive the meaning of new vocabulary. (i.e.: use context clues, background knowledge, affixes, parts of speech, grammatical knowledge, an English-English learnerīs dictionary, photos, DVDs, etc.)
- Apply a variety of reading strategies to reading selections.
- Use knowledge of basic grammar as a comprehension aid.
- Read short literary selections or non-fiction leveled readers for comprehension and enjoyment.
- Use key vocabulary from reading selections and short DVDs while participating in small group activities.