ENGL5A: SURVEY AMER LIT
This course is a study of the masters of American Literature and the major trends of literature from Pre-colonial times through to 1865. In this course, students will work to understand concepts within poetry and prose, examine common literary trends, as well as work to explain the social and historical influences which inform this literature. (C-ID: ENGL 130) PREREQUISITE: Eligible for English 1A.
- Interpret and identify literary passages from the major trends in American Literature.
- Explain the social and historical influences which inform American Literature from pre-colonial times to 1865.
- Examine literary techniques that are employed in the works of American Literature.
- Synthesize and compare texts within a critical framework.
- Research American Literature within a critical framework (e.g. Biographical Criticism, Structuralism, Deconstruction, Post-Structuralism, Feminism, Marxism, etc.)