ENGL440: BASIC WRITING
This is an intensive study and application of basic grammar, sentence, and essay writing skills within the context of composing short essays. Units earned in this course do not count toward the associate degree and/or certain certificate requirements. PREREQUISITE: Satisfactory score on the English placement examination.
- Identify, re-state and respond to an author's thesis and supporting points
- Recognize and practice specific rhetorical strategies.
- Demonstrate ability to write clear, unified essays in standard English which feature a coherent thesis, relevant supporting evidence, and control of conventions.Measure: essays
- Apply beginning research skills applicable to academic and workplace environments, such as locating, evaluating, summarizing and interpreting sources..Measure: bibliographies, research essay
- Write effective, well-organized impromptu essays under timed conditions.
- Recognize and practice steps in the writing process.