ENGL2F: CHILDREN'S LIT
A survey of texts for elementary and intermediate grades, with a focus on literary analysis, criticism and evaluation. Study of historical backgrounds and development of genres of children's literature in a cross section of cultures. This course has the option of a letter grade or pass/no pass. (C-ID: ENGL 180) PREREQUISITE: English 1A.
- Students will identify major authors, works, genres, and themes of children’s literature in different cultures.
- Students will analyze and interpret themes found in the literature and intellectual movements of children’s literature.
- Students will demonstrate familiarity with the research process information competency and MLA standards.
- Students will practice the conventions of literary analysis specific to children's literature, including recognition of various literary theories, and analysis essays featuring standard grammar and mechanics, awareness of audience, development of a thesis, and inclusion of sufficient evidence.
- Students will analyze works of children's literature in their historical, philosophical, social, political, multicultural, and aesthetic contexts.