ENGL2B: AMERICAN ETHNIC LITERATURE
Students will examine the concept of ethnicity in the context of contemporary American multi-ethnic literature: Native American, Hispanic American, Black American, Asian American. Students will critique this literature using the accepted elements of literary criticism. They will read and analyze selections from each literature and explain their results in journals, oral presentations, a research project and examinations. PREREQUISITE: Eligible for English 1A.
- Examine the historical, socio-political, and cultural context of ethnic literature
- Analyze literary criticism related to ethnic literature
- Identify representative ethnic American authors and works
- Analyze characteristic themes and literary techniques in ethnic literature
- Describe the development of ethnic American literature as a unique contribution to the canon
- Examine ethnic literature as a means to understand cultural diversity