ECOL1: CONS NATURAL RESOUR
This course examines the fundamentals of ecology (the study of the relationships between organisms and their environment) with special emphasis on human effects on the environment. Topics of discussion will include ecosystem dynamics, resources, pollution, population growth, and the clash between economic and political policy and the environment. ADVISORY: Eligible for English 250 and English 260.
- The student will explain how energy and nutrients cycle within and through ecosystems and describe how these cycles can be disrupted by human activities.
- The student will describe the various factors affecting the distribution and abundance of living organisms on Earth.
- The student will evaluate how humans influence air and water quality, climate, and biodiversity and propose strategies for lessening human impacts on the environment.
- The student will compare and contrast the physical characteristics and adaptations of flora and fauna of a variety of local ecosystems.
- The student will cooperatively research, produce, and present with a group of other students a term project that analyzes the environmental, social, and economic impacts of a particular environmental issue and evaluates the efficiency and effectiveness of the democratic process in dealing with these complex issues.