CMUN4: INTERCULTURAL COMM
This course will explore the dynamics of communication as it applies to people from different cultures. Course content focuses on the application of theory and research to intercultural communication contexts. Increasing the awareness and understanding of diversity, the perception process, culture, verbal and non-verbal communication and the obstacles that prevent one from becoming a competent intercultural communicator will be examined. (C-ID: COMM 150)
- Recognize and articulate how core values, worldview, and communication patterns shape cultural and individual identity.
- Identify the components of culture and communicate their interrelationship.
- Explain how culture influences verbal and nonverbal communication.
- Comprehend the social and psychological variables of culture and its expression.
- Discuss the diverse ways of thinking, perceptions and interpretations.
- Compare and contrast cultural communication strategies in various contexts.
- Recognize barriers to effective intercultural competencies such as stereotyping, prejudice, and ethnocentrism.
- Identify elements of common ground among diverse cultures.