CHEM30B: ELEM ORG/BIOCHEM
This is the second semester of a year-long elementary chemistry course designed as a continuation of Chemistry 30A. It is designed for science majors, nursing and allied health students. The course will cover the principles of organic and biochemistry including hydrocarbons, alcohols, aldehydes and ketones, carboxylic acids, amines and amides, carbohydrates, lipids, proteins and their functions in physiological systems, as well as organic chemical reactions. PREREQUISITE: Chemistry 30A with a grade of C or better.
- Identify the major classes of organic compounds including the functional groups.
- Demonstrate comprehension of alkanes and cycloalkanes including physical/chemical properties, isomers, structures and nomenclature.
- Demonstrate comprehension of stereochemistry including isomerism, chirality, optical activity and specific rotation.
- Compare, contrast and analyze the chemical reactions of carboxylic acids and esters.
- Compare, contrast and analyze the chemical reactions of carbohydrates and lipids.