CHEM30A: ELEM CHEMISTRY L/L
This is a first semester college chemistry course designed for majors preparing to take Chemistry 1A, nursing and allied health students, as well as general education. The course will cover the principles of chemistry including properties of matter, energy, atomic theory, the Periodic Table, stoichiometry, elements and compounds, the properties of bonding, molecular structure, chemical reactions, states of matter, acidity, solutions and gases, as well as an introduction to organic chemistry. ADVISORY: Mathematics 205; eligible for English 250 and English 260.
- Derive and apply the fundamental organization of the atom.Measure: Homework, Group activities, Quizzes and Exams
- Develop strategies to approach, solve and comprehend problems that involve stoichiometry.
- Identify the major classes of reactions, and predict their products.
- Use the gas laws to quantitatively describe gaseous behavior.
- Compare and contrast the concept of pH, and the quantitative aspects of acid-base strength.