CD8B: TEACH READ/WRIT
This course is designed to teach prospective teachers how a child learns to read and write successfully in school. Specific techniques will be taught. Students will be expected to work 24 hours with a child or children in order to practice their skills and techniques. This course has the option of a letter grade or pass/no pass. ADVISORY: Completion of English 250, English 260 or equivalent.
- Identify and select appropriate and effective techniques to use with individual children and small groups to teach reading and writing.
- Analyze and record children's progress and levels in reading and writing.
- Identify and select appropriate materials to match children's levels and needs in reading and writing.
- Design and describe appropriate environments to support children's reading and writing skills acquisition.
- Match techniques and materials to adequately support special needs children and second language learners.
- Describe and explain the reading/writing skill acquisition continuum.