BIOT103: BIOTECH LAB SKILLS
Introduction to biotechnology laboratory skills. Techniques will include DNA isolation, DNA fingerprinting, cloning, restriction mapping, and Southern blotting. Includes the use and care of instruments such as centrifuges, mechanical and micropipettes, and electronic balances. Will also include keeping of a notebook, report writing, and calculations. ADVISORY: Eligible for English 250. PREREQUISITE: Completion of BIO 1 with a grade of C or better; may be taken concurrently.
- Develop laboratory skills required for use in a biotechnology lab.
- Improve ability to write a report and keep a notebook in correct scientific format
- Apply the scientific method to determine use of appropriate equipment and techniques
- Apply safety rules when using equipment and working with microorganisms.
- Demonstrate the ability to perform cooperatively in a working environment by conducting lab activities in teams.
- Apply basic biological principles and principles of aseptic technique to growth of microbial cultures.
- Perform calculations needed to prepare media, buffers and dilutions