BIO8: MICROBIOLOGY L/L
An introduction to microbiology with an emphasis on bacteriology. Includes the study of morphology, physiology and classification of microorganisms, a survey of infectious disease, immunology and techniques for culture and control of microorganisms. This course is also listed as Allied Health 8. PREREQUISITE: Biological Science 10 or 15 with a grade of credit or C or better. ADVISORY: Chemistry 30A and Chemistry 30B; Eligible for English 250, English 260 and Mathematics 205.
- Apply knowledge of basic principles of microbiology to practical situations.
- Apply knowledge of chemistry to understanding microorganisms.
- Explain basic biological principles as they occur in microorganisms.
- Describe the role of microorganisms in health, disease and the environment.
- Describe basic concepts of immunology and explain the role immunology plays in human health and disease.
- Discuss molecular genetics and biotechnology and their applications.
- Demonstrate basic laboratory skills which will be applied to conduct experiments with microorganisms.