ASTR1: INTRO GEN ASTRONOMY
An introduction to the realm of astronomy and space science. Topics to be covered include the historical development of astronomy, the physics of gravitation and radiation, the solar system, stellar astronomy, galactic and extragalactic astronomy, and cosmology. ADVISORY: Mathematics 205 and eligible for English 250 and English 260.
- Describe the basic development of astronomy beginning with astrological foundations of ancient civilizations through modern day theories.
- Describe the principle motions of the earth, moon, and other solar system members.
- Describe the basic physics of light, and distinguish between various types of telescopes.
- Describe the basic composition and construction of the solar system and its origin.
- Compare and contrast the principle differences between the .Terrestrial and Jovian Planets.
- Describe, compare and contrast the differing properties of stars, and describe accurately their evolutionary processes.
- Describe with the properties of the Milky Way galaxy, and differentiate between other external galaxies.
- Describe the evolution of the universe, and contrast various models on the further evolution of the universe.