ENGL414: ENGLISH BOOT CAMP
This immersion course is designed to improve fundamental academic skills in reading, writing, and studying necessary for success in first-year English courses. The course will introduce or review reading and writing strategies, paragraph organization, and vocabulary development. Opportunities for word processing; document formatting; and review of grammar, mechanics, and punctuation are provided. This is a pass/no pass course, and units earned do not count toward the associate degree or certificates.
- Apply reading strategies for comprehending texts.
- Write short essays using correct, grammar, and punctuation.
- Apply basic research strategies, including using the library, searching the internet, and evaluating sources.
- Apply time management, organization, communication, and study skills to prepare for successful presentations and course completion.
- Use vocabulary in context: Apply word analysis strategies and understand meanings of words by using contextual clues and dictionaries.