ESL784: NC ESL LIFESKILLS 1A
This is the first course in a series of English classes for students with very little oral or written English competency. It will give students basic vocabulary and familiarity in life skill areas such as family, food, health, and occupations to manage in the real world. This course emphasizes oral communication and integrates listening, speaking, reading and writing. ADVISORY: Placement into ESL Level 1 by the CASAS placement test.
- Use thematic vocabulary and basic grammatical structures studied to communicate in English during classroom activities.
- Ask and answer simple questions about issues that affect their daily lives (personal information, family, housing, time, weather, seasons, clothes, shopping, food).
- Write simple sentences using thematic vocabulary to express likes, dislikes, personal experiences, etc.
- Apply thematic vocabulary and basic grammatical structures in real world situations.
- Demonstrate class and study skills necessary for success in next level.