Supervisory aspects of public agencies and investor-owned utilities, including organization, decision-making, coordination, communication and public relations. Personnel supervision, including coaching, training, evaluation, discipline, team building, morale and grievances. Safety programs, as well as encouragement of safe conditions, actions and attitudes is also covered. ADVISORY: WTRM 101 Introduction to Water/Wastewater Technology.
- Explain transformational leadership and how to implement it in a water utility to spearhead change and improvement.
- Discuss how to create a foundation for organizational change through culture allignment, leadership, and strategy.
- Outline the key elements for successful management in a competitive environment.
- Discuss key approaches for improving employee performance and handling employee issues.
- Explain the management challenges associated with working in a natural monopoly that is regulated.
- Discuss the major approaches for measuring corporate performance, including data-based decision- making.
- Outline how to apply benchmarking to other utilities' performance in order to improve your own utility's performance.
- Demonstrate effective business writing techniques, including focus and purpose, audience, organization, and development.
- Discuss the key elements of planning for organizational change and harnessing the positive power of change.