WTRM105: WATER DISTRIBUTION 1
This is a comprehensive course that teaches basic principles of operation and maintenance of a water distribution system. It course covers the sources of water; principles of design; installation, operation and maintenance of pipes, pumps, valves, meters, and other regulated hydraulic units. Operation and maintenance safety considerations are emphasized. This course is designed to prepare the student to take the State of California Water Distribution Operator exam. ADVISORY: WTRM 101 Introduction to Water-Wastewater Technology; WTRM 102 Beginning Water-Wastewater Mathematics.
- Describe proper waterworks technology
- Identify the primary functions and responsibilities of water distribution operators
- Identify the sources of water available and their uses.
- Describe the various types of storage facilities and operational use of each.
- Identify the fundamentals of water distribution systems, and the hydraulic characteristics of the different types.
- Solve basic mathematical calculations and conversions such as volume, water flow, pressure, and chemical dosage.
- Compare types of pipes used and corresponding water quality issues.
- Diagram a typical water distribution system layout.
- Evaluate the impact of various water valves used in a distribution system.