MUS7: SONGWRITING AND COMPOSITION
This course is an introduction to modern song writing techniques. Students will learn to create their own musical compositions. Approaches to contemporary issues in song writing including development of melodic, lyrical, and rhythmic ideas will be studied. In addition, students will learn strategies for promoting their songs in the contemporary music marketplace as well as basic concepts of intellectual property right protection. While recommended, no prior formal musical education is required.
- Through listening, be able to diagram the basic structure of a song.
- Compose a complete song (and/or composition).
- Articulate the differences and similarities among different musical cultures.
- Students will express constructive criticism towards other students' work.
- Students will assess constructive criticism and employ it within their work.