AJ184: COMPUTER FORENSICS
Introduction to computer crime investigation processes. The student is introduced to the hardware, software, networks and devices found in typical home and business settings. Techniques and equipment used to collect evidence, ensure integrity, locate and prepare data for forensic investigation. Covers chain of custody requirements for admissible evidence, data formats for a variety of modern equipment, and recovery of deleted or encrypted information. This course has the option of a letter grade or pass/no pass. This course is also listed as CSIS 184.
- Student can identify, remove, and replace all major components of a typical personal computer.
- Student can perform basic file operations on Mac, Windows, UNIX.
- Student can describe the most common network topologies and protocols and identify key hardware components or these topologies.
- Students can inventory files on disk, perform searches for specific files, and locate temporary files such as caches.
- Students can describe the special requirements of chain of custody for digital evidence.