|Students!! Post resumes and search job openings. Gavilan College Career Education uses College Central Network as its job search system. The site is available 24/7 to students, alumni and employers at www.collegecentral.com/gavilan|
This certificate is developed in cooperation with the Western Association of Food Chains (WAFC). The program has been fully endorsed by the WAFC and it's member companies. The curriculum was developed out of a collaborative effort between several industry and college professionals and encompasses several business essentials, including the “soft skills” of management and communication required for career success in the retail industry. Although the program was developed by the food retail industry, its completion will help students to acquire necessary knowledge and skills to manage retail stores of any kind.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Discuss the purpose, context, concepts, and processes of retailing and the retail environment and the responsibilities of the retail operations function.
- Explain the basic terms and concepts of accounting, and the content of financial statements and be able to understand and interpret the information they contain.
- Develop a general understanding of retail management/business concepts related to sales and marketing of services and/or products.
- Determine appropriate and inappropriate interview, hiring, and employee supervision procedures.
Program Requirements (22 units)
- PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS (22 UNITS)
- BOT100 or Business Correspondence (3)
- BUS100 Business Correspondence(3)
- CSIS2 Computers in Business (4)
- MKTG100 Principles of Marketing (3)
- MGMT101 Introduction to Management(3)
- MGMT102 Retail Management (3)
- MGMT104 Leadership/Human Relations in Business(3)
- MGMT120 Human Resource Management(3)
Electives - Choose one
- ACCT20 or Financial Accounting (4)
- ACCT21 Managerial Accounting (4)
For the Associate Degree, Complete General Education Requirements (35-39)
A student may complete the Gavilan College A.A./A.S. general education, the CSU-GE Breadth or the IGETC pattern, plus sufficient electives to meet a 60 unit total. See counselor for details.
NOTE: A course may be used to satisfy both general education and major courses. See”Double Counting Rule".