Gavilan College offers an A.S. Degree or Certificate of Achievement in Economics.
Program Learning Outcomes: After completing this degree a student will be able to:
- Identify and discuss causes of long-run economic growth and short term business cycle fluctuations in growth (e.g. recessions and expansions), and policy responses and initiatives affecting each.
- apply marginal analysis to resource allocation decisions in a variety of settings, including but not limited to: profit maximization strategies for firms in various competitive environments, and utility maximization strategies for consumers with budget constraints.
To receive a CERTIFICATE OF ACHIEVEMENT complete: The requirements listed below
(Business Core is not required)
- ECON 1: Principles of Macroeconomics (3 units)
- ECON 2: Principles of Microeconomics (3 units)
- MATH 5: Introduction to Statistics (3 units)
- BUS/ECON 11: Statistics for Business and Economics (4 units)
- MATH 1A: Single-Variable Calculus & Analytic Geometry (4 units)
- MATH 6: Calculus for Business/Social Science (3 units)
- ACCT 20: Financial Accounting (4 units)
- MATH 1B: Single-Variable Calculus & Analytic Geometry (4 units)
- MATH 7: Finite Mathematics (3 units)
Total units required:19-22 units
Students are expected to complete the courses or show competency in skill area. See a counselor regarding the course waiver or substitution process.