Gavilan College facilities are available at affordable rates for weddings,seminars, conferences, classes, meetings, and festivals. The beautiful park-like campus is the perfect backdrop for any occasion.
|Gavilan College Theater||Theater Rental Information|
|Classrooms and outdoor areas|
|The Historic Chapel||Not available for rent|
|The Mayock House||Not available for rent|
The beautiful Gavilan College campus in Gilroy, CA is home to two –- relocated –-historic buildings from the surrounding communities.
The Mayock House: In 1981 the Gilroy Historical Society contacted Gavilan College regarding an 1886 virgin redwood house in downtown Gilroy that was slated for demolition. The college designated land on campus, and in 1982 the Mayock House, (named for its last inhabitant, a Gilroy Advocate publisher who came to town after the Civil War) was moved. Restoration work took eight years and was started by students in the construction technology program. They poured a foundation, and began the work, which was then completed by the faculty. The Gavilan College Faculty Association contributed $95,000 and many hours of labor to renovate the house. The Mayock House does not meet seismic standards for educational facilities, and so cannot be used for student gatherings. It is used for faculty meetings and receptions, and has a room designated for the use of the Gilroy Historical Society.
The Chapel: The Chapel was built in 1893 at the location of Dunneville Corners in Hollister as San Felipe Community Church. From 1915 to 1927, it was used by a variety of denominations. For decades it stood abandoned and vacant before Gavilan College's first president (Ralph Schroder) took an interest in the chapel and purchased it with help from Native Daughters of the Golden West. Between 1972 and 1975 Gavilan College construction technology students renovated the building. It was renovated again in 2005 with funds from Measure E. It is available for rental to the public and is a popular site for wedding ceremonies. The Gavilan College Historic Chapel can be seen in the film "East of Eden."
For more information, call the Facilities Use Office at (408) 846-4957
or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org